Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Is Google Making Us Stupid?"


                    So far I have only read the first four pages, the first one ‘eh’, the second and third intriguing and the fourth, well boring. I do agree with Carr that “research that once required days in the stacks or periodical rooms of libraries can now be in minutes”. The internet has changed a lot in many ways. I can admit that in middle and high school, instead of reading a book, I would use sparknotes.com and figure out key points, just enough to pass my quizzes and exams. I also happen to know most of my class did the same. It’s sad that now even authors don’t like to read, everything is a minute away when you have the internet. The fourth page, seemed like the longest, I feel like they begin to use big words and long quotes, I’m tempted myself to just look on Google for an outline of the paper, though I won’t. Now in school, kids aren’t learning how to read books, they are learning how to use a computer for the internet. Like it says in the article, reading is not programmed into our brains like speaking is, we have to be taught to read, but when everything we could ever want to know is in a 15” by 9” computer that only weighs 5 pounds, why carry around endless amounts of books, not only are they boring, they are heavy and actually using your brain Is part of books, you can’t just get the theme and key points in a small paragraph like you can on Google. I have found myself on Google at least five times while reading this article, and looked at the many links the article offers, maybe if I were programmed differently and worked more like ‘clock-work’ rather than ‘computer-work’ I wouldn’t have to look up the words I don’t understand, I would just know them, and not have to look up the information he refers to, but that is the way my brain is programmed, and its only getting worse for the younger generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment