Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

BLOG 4

'Why We Crave Horror Movies' is by Stephen King who thinks that we are all insane, because people like horror movies. I would have to disagree with this article, though I do understand why he thinks we are all crazy, but instead of crazy, we are just human. Humans are crazy. We do weird things that are questionable every day, maybe even a few times a day. King says “We’ve all known people who talk to themselves, people who sometimes squinch their faces together when they believe no one is watching, people who have some hysterical fear, of snakes…” That’s not being insane in my opinion that’s being normal. We all have fears. I personally am deathly afraid of spiders, am I insane? Do I belong in an asylum? King says we are “daring the nightmare” that I believe is human nature, we all want something crazy to happen all the time, we crave adrenalin. If everyone was nice and perfect all the time, we would get bored.  An example of this is the way he compares a horror movie to a roller coaster and “the way we scream when a roller coaster twists through a complete 360, that’s the crave for adrenaline, not insanity. Without that crave, we wouldn’t be human. Personally I am not a fan of horror movies, I don’t like the gore of it all, I still crave adrenaline rush of a surprise, I just don’t like it in the form of blood and guts. I think Stephen King belongs in an insane asylum, if he gets that joy and appeal from watching horror movies in more of a way than just watching it for entertainment. When he talks about little kids being treated well for behaving well, and hugging his rotten puke little sister so he can be rewarded with the happiness of his parents is a good thing, not bad like he’s making it sound. If all of our parents promoted violence and murder, there would be no one left. Teaching kids good is keeping them out of the insane asylum. As far as the dead baby joke told by the ten year old boy, hes a ten year old boy! What can you expect, when you’re young, it’s cool to say bad or dirty jokes. That’s human nature. I don’t believe horror movies are mean to “deliberately appeal to all that is worst in us”, its just a simple form of entertainment that meets our craving for an adrenaline rush.

1 comment:

  1. Barbi, I know this is a little long but i quoted a lot so i tried to make it 200 words with out the quotes from the reading.

    ReplyDelete