Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Price of Reading is Eternal Vigilance. BLOG 1

This article is about the fear people get when they read. Not many people actually know how to read or what to pick out in a reading that is actually important. The author wants the reader to engage in the reading, talk back to the book, and write in the book. Anything that can help you analyze and fully understand the text instead of just looking over it and not comprehending. I agree and disagree with Anatole Broyard in this article. I think he right in thinking that reading should engage the reader but it is their responsibility to do so. His thoughts about talking back to the book and questioning as well as trying to understand the text are completely true in my opinion, I have found that when I really get into a book I do question and critically think about the text and I understand much better than I would if I hadn’t engaged myself in the reading. I do disagree with the last passage about educated Americans are cowards. I do not believe that to be true, I know many educated Americans that are good in the face of art. We are taught the way we were taught, which was to, only read the text that is given and to not pick apart stuff that doesn’t matter, we never learned to analyze or question anything, so that is just a bad America. I believe they know that reading is a talent and I believe most of them have mastered it.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent posts, Haley! Sounds like you were able to connect with the reading in some ways, which is great. Also, I LOVE the kitty on your background :)

    ReplyDelete